Living Al-Anon Slogans: Take Care of Yourself, Do What's Best for You

Anxiety and I go back a long way. Fear has been a constant companion, if not a friend. Panic attacks have ruled me and fight-or-flight characterized my behavior. The picture on the left is me deep in anxiety mode. I was not happy and it showed. Thanks to 12-step recovery groups like Al-Anon, I use past tense. I am learning to take care of myself so negative feelings don't control me. Picture on the right is me a few months ago, much happier, despite being in menopause Here's how.

Cast out false fear. My old modus operandi was others-driven. I'm not saying being others-centered is all bad. Obviously parents need to put kids first. And unselfishness is good for relationships. To an extent. But that wasn't how I did it. Living Al-Anon Slogans: Take Care of Yourself, Do What's Best for You

 I lived in constant fear of upsetting, angering, disappointing and failing. Fear consumed, overwhelmed and exhausted me. I got physically ill. Fear will always be my most challenging nemesis. Combating it means stepping way outside my comfort zone. But if I don't, the zone only gets smaller. Self-care means bearding my lions.

Search This Blog