Blogging Helps Teens with Social Problems, APA Says

Parents, are you worried about the amount of time your teen spends in online chat? Don't despair. A new study released by the American Psychological Association finds that blogging and online interaction can actually help teenagers process anxiety and cope better with social interaction. Here are facts about teen social blogging and emotional benefits.

I frequently write about negatives in youth online presence. I'm concerned that excessive texting and Facebook interaction is making kids unable to relate face-to-face. I think the healthy solution is balance. If kids only "socialize" from behind a screen, when they don't talk, only text, that's dangerous. And the "who with" is as important as the "how much." For the most part, kids should interact with agemates, not adults online. If you wouldn't let your kid go somewhere with someone, you shouldn't let him hang out online with them either.

When kids are equally social, online and off, then blogging and social networking seem to be positive. Adults, this advice is for us, too. I've had many positive experiences from blogging and Facebook. The former is part of how I earn my living. And the latter has enabled me to boost confidence and extend my comfort zone. Read more about how  Blogging Helps Teens with Social Problems

Search This Blog